Busing Didn't End School Segregation
Goal of activity: To convert a hot-button issue to one in which each participant sees opportunities for learning more about the issue and how people think about it.
K—What do I Know? (or claim to know)
- OR, if someone else claims or assumes K, what alternative Knowledge claims K'' could I suggest that they consider?
- OR, if I Find out an answer to a Q, what new Knowledge can I contribute to the discussion?
A—Action: What actions could people pursue on the basis of accepting this Knowledge?
Q—Questions for inquiry: What more do I need to Know—in order to clarify what people could do (K'->A’) or to revise/refine/support the knowledge claim (K->K’) if I am not ready to put forward an Action?
- F—How to Find this out? (Methods, Steps to address the Q)
1. Start with K = Busing Didn't End School Segregation, then complete the KAQF form
- For this and any subsequent K, you might fill in A or the first kind of Q or the second kind of Q. If you fill in either Q, fill in F as well.
- if you Find out an answer to a Q, contribute this new Knowledge to the discussion using the KAQF form
2a. View responses of others
2b. identify an assumption that someone else appears to have made or an alternative to their claim that I suggest that they consider, and
2c. complete the KAQF form
3. Repeat #2 or, if you Find out an answer to a Q, repeat #1.