End of Europe's Middle Ages
Obligations of Commendation
Some obligations of manorial commendation were:
- taille: a regular payment in goods or kind to lord.
- heriot: payable at death of tenant farmer.
- relief: payable at the change of lord or at his request,
usually for a specific event, such as a death, marriage or during wars.
- corvée: dues payable in labour on the lord's land.
At times, tenant farmers could sustain decreased harvests since the labour
on the lands of their lords took precedence over the work on their own.
- scutage: payment in lieu of military service.
||Return to Feudal Institutions
The End of Europe's Middle Ages / Applied History Research Group / University of Calgary
Copyright © 1997, The Applied History Research Group